Marine board is a flexible, tough material that is resistant to odors, abrasion, acids, and mildew. It resists scratches, impact, UV light, and moisture, making it ideal for consistent submergence in bodies of water – including oceans.
Marine Board is known under many different monikers, such as Marine Grade HDPE, Sea Board, Star Board, Marine Plywood, and Marine Lumber. Despite having numerous names, all forms of Marine Board are made of specially treated high density polyethylene, or HDPE.
Due to the many beneficial qualities of marine board, it has enjoyed enduring popularity when constructing many products. Marine grade HDPE is commonly used in outdoor cabinetry, boat components, RV components, decks, doors and trim, as well as swimming pool equipment.
Common Questions about Marine Board:
Why Is HDPE Good For Boating?
HDPE is great for boating because of its amazing qualities that are suitable for marine applications. HDPE is corrosion, marine growth and high impact resistant, which is perfect for dealing with natural roughness and weathering that comes with the sea. HDPE has a large strength to density ratio of about 0.93 to 0.97 grams. HDPE plastic is easy to machine and mold which makes the engineering process run smoothly. And HDPE is UV resistant, which works well for hot weather boating.
What is Starboard Made of?
Starboard is a brand name of marine grade HDPE, also known as high density polyethylene. This type of HDPE has been environmentally stabilized to sustain harsh outdoor conditions, and is often used as a replacement for wood.
Is Marine Board Waterproof?
Unlike marine plywood and similar materials, marine board is waterproof. Not only that, it's resistant to oxygen, salt, and water, meaning it will not be damaged even after prolonged exposure to ocean water.
What is Marine Board Called?
The brand name for marine grade board is Starboard. It is marine grade HDPE, also known as high density polyethylene.
What is Marine Board Used For?
Marine board is a type of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic material that is commonly used in marine and industrial applications. It is a popular choice for boat building, dock construction, and other water-related structures. Here are some of the most common uses of marine board:
- Boat building: Marine board is a popular material for boat construction because of its water-resistant and low-maintenance properties. Marine board is commonly used for hulls, seats, decks, and instrument panels.
- Marine accessories: Marine board can be used for a variety of marine accessories, such as tackle boxes, rod holders, cooler racks, and more.
- Dock construction: Since Marine board can withstand water exposure, UV radiation, and other environmental factors, it's commonly used in dock construction.
- Industrial applications: You can see Marine board commonly used in chemical tanks, pipes, and lining, since it is resistant to a range of chemicals making it ideal for use in harsh environments.
- Furniture: Marine board is often used in outdoor furniture, such as chairs, tables, and benches. Its weather resistance makes it an excellent material for outdoor furniture.
- Signage: Marine board is commonly used in outdoor signage because of its weather-resistant properties. You will often see it used for advertising, directional signs, and informational signs.
What are the Benefits of Marine Board?
Marine board is beneficial due to its versatility and durability. Here are some of the top benefits of Marine board:
- 1. Water-resistant: Since Marine board is water-resistant, it does not absorb moisture, making it an ideal material for use in marine environments.
- 2. UV-resistant: Marine board will not fade or discolor over time due to its UV-resistance. It can also withstand prolonged exposure to the sun without cracking or deteriorating.
- 3. Low-maintenance: Marine board is easy to maintain and clean. It does not require staining, painting, or sealing, and is resistant to impact, scratches, and dents.
- 4. Lightweight: Marine board is relatively lightweight and easy to handle, making it an ideal choice for boat building and other applications. It’s equally easy to cut and shape!
- 5. Chemical-resistant: Marine board resists a wide range of chemicals, such as acids, bases, and solvents. For that reason, Marine board is commonly used in industrial applications.
- 6. Environmentally friendly: Marine board is recyclable, so it is an eco-friendly alternative to wood or other traditional building materials.